Senior Cost Engineer
Leading Employer in the Oil & Gas Industry
- Understand all relevant documentation pertaining to the project including scope of services, conditions of contract, project execution plan, project schedule, etc.
- Work within standard project cost engineering procedures. Ensure that these procedures comply with contractual reporting requirements and, if not, modify accordingly.
- Prepare activity plans to accomplish all work required by the procedures.
- Liaise with client project control personnel as necessary.
- Prepare manhour, material quantity and cost budgets from the cost estimate and update them on approval of contract changes and budget transfers.
- Disseminate budget information to all operating groups, providing clarification and additional information where required and ascertaining commitment to budgets as the cost target.
- Generally instill cost awareness in the project organisation such that capital costs are controlled and changes to workscope are identified and quantified.
- Obtain from operating groups, the latest information pertinent to cost analysis and ensure its accuracy and completeness. Attend meetings concerning cost matters.
- Maintain a comprehensive material and construction quantity control and reporting system to include the current status of budget, material take-off and forecast quantities.
- Liaise with Project Planning Engineer on analysis of project status. Review the impact of cost and schedule changes upon each other.
- Identify and analyse deviations and trends against the budgets. Investigate such deviations with the relevant group and advise Project Manager of issues requiring corrective action.
- Establish and maintain all cost recording documentation. Provide comprehensive cost analysis and prepare forecasts of final project costs.
- Liaise with Field Cost Engineer/Construction/Site Manager and review field cost reports and associated information for inclusion in the overall project cost report.
- Review overall project status and forecast with Project Manager each month.
- Prepare monthly cost reports with supporting narratives.
Prepare and issue monthly cost action reports to the Project Manager to include cost report summaries, exclusions, potential cost problems and recommend corrective actions.
- Prepare monthly Project Cost Report and associated back-up for review with Project Manager, HOD Cost Engineer and Project Controls Manager as necessary.
- Prepare quarterly (CPR) and associated back up for review with Project Manager, HOD Cost Engineer, Project Controls Manager, and Executive and Corporate Representatives as necessary
- Audit of invoices and payment certificates prior to payment by either the client or company accounts.
- Ensure reconciliation between project cost report and accounts cost and billing information.
- Prepare final project statistics and advise effectiveness of procedures and systems for possible development on future projects.
- When nominated, act as a sponsor to trainees, regularly review their progress and make periodic reports to the Manager Project Controls.
- Perform any other functions as directed by the HOD Cost Engineer
Responsibilities / Key Objectives:
- Contracts Administration
- Client Project Controls Representative
- Client Cost Engineering Representative
- National Diploma in in the finance, commerce, accounting fields or equivalent or
- Sufficient relevant experience over and above that stated below, in lieu of qualification requirements
- BCom Degree in the finance, commerce, accounting fields or equivalent.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Minimum 3 years industry experience.
- Minimum 5 years cost engineering experience
- Advanced user of MS Excel, MS Access,
- Exposure to, and understanding of the engineering
- Excellent organisational skills
- Excellent communication skills.
- Work well within a team environment