FOOD & SAFETY OFFICER
Vacancy Number: 5209
Date Posted: 26 November, 2020
Job Expires: 14 December, 2020
Functions and Duties
Directly reporting to the COO
- Directly Managing Food hygiene, OSH and Compliance to the law (Food Act 254, OSHA 2007).
- In conjunction with training department ensure new staff are trained on level 1 and level 2 hygiene
- and food safety
- Ensure that all food and beverage team members have an adequate knowledge of food hygiene
- through continuous training and monitoring
- Organise food hygiene meetings and trainings and keep accurate records of all trainings and
- meetings held
- Follow up with all related teams that trainings are understood and actions implemented
- Development of classroom trainings for all kitchen and service stewards
- Conducting monthly internal audits to ensure conformity to set hygiene and food safety
- procedures and create action plans for non-conformances
- Contribute to sourcing new suppliers and ensure all suppliers are visited regularly to evaluate
- their production in terms of hygiene
- Designing process flow charts and SOPs
- Implementing product traceability from suppliers and the central kitchen
- Setting up a HACCP system and highlight quality control points and setting quality performance
- Focal person with external service providers in sanitation, and pest control at the chain, and
- external consultants on hygiene and food safety
- Shift Production Manager-Production| Manufacturing Department| Highlands Mineral Water Company Ltd |Nyeri, Kenya |January 2018- September 2018
- Functions and Duties
- Directly Managing a team of 66 crew in a shift
- Ensuring swift and smooth plant start-ups and shutdowns through effective operator
- handovers at the start/end of every shift
- In consultation with senior syrup room blender; ensure production plans are prepared and met
- In consultation with production clerks, review production special orders and schedule production for earliest delivery
- Initiate and give direction on any process changes to ensure product specifications are achieved and maintained by controlling and stopping non-conforming products from further processing
- Facilitating accurate completion of the Batch Manufacturing Record (BMR) and focus on plant operational efficiencies, including measuring processes and process inputs and outputs (OEE,
- Availability, Performance and Quality)
- Keeping records of workers attendance, identifying reasons for staff non-conformance (e.g.
- skills upgrade, managing poor performance, refusal to obey lawful instruction, absenteeism)
- and initiate disciplinary action where applicable;
- Ensuring quality standards are implemented and adhered to, diagnosing plant problems
- (process troubleshooting in liaison with Shift technical operators and Shift Technical Maintenance staff) for interpretation of process troubleshooting findings to optimize production output;
- Developing initiatives in improvement of production standards and reduction of costs, communicate and enforce KPIs to measure efficiency of all production process;
- Conducting daily production meetings with different production disciplines, including Process controllers, and maintenance technicians to analyze previous shift results and implement any necessary changes to meet demand;
- In consultation with Shift maintenance, make timely requisitions for machine maintenance during breakdowns, generate maintenance job cards and ‘permit to work’ for hazardous job;
- As a Shift Manager, allocate and reallocate manpower on the production line and revise production schedules and prioritize as needed in order to maximize productivity;
- Constantly undertaking plant inspection and reporting all unsafe conditions and risks/hazards in line with company Safety and Health Policy
- HACCP and food safety training and certification is critical.
- Professional certification
- 2 – 3 years’ proven experience in a compliance officer role.
- Experience in risk management
- Knowledge of legal requirements and controls
- Familiarity with industry practices and professional standards
- Good knowledge of legal requirements and procedures.
- Brilliant oral and written communication skills.
- Highly-analytical with strong attention to detail.