FIELD-BASED MUD ENGINEER
JOB DESCRIPTION AND PROFILE
This position will provide Mud Engineering support on the rig to the drilling, work-over and completion
projects in shallow and deep offshore.
Reports directly to the Senior Drilling Supervisor on board the rig and functionally to the Office-based Mud
• Minimum of 15 Years of Experience in the oil and gas industry with at least 5 years as Field Mud
Engineer with relevant experience.
• experience in drilling extended reach and horizontal wells
• Recent offshore experience (Jack-up or deep offshore rig) is required
• Minimum Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Chemistry (Engineering and Science disciplines may be
considered based on experience)
• Offshore survival and HUET (BOSIET) certification
KEY TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
• Efficient implementation of the mud engineering programs on the rig.
• Circulate adequate mud weights to manage well control as well as well stability
• Prevent excessive mud weights to minimize formation damage and drilling related skin.
• Meet the environmental guidelines and as per the statutory requirements, manage and supervise
waste disposal especially cuttings and mud, monitor solid control equipment performance, maintain
the appropriate screens in shakers and utilization of all solids control equipment to minimize surface
• Manage mud tank system efficiently for muds, slugs, cement mix, water and spacers, testing and
completion brines or any other liquid
• Maintain adequate and appropriate mud chemicals storage, including bulk material like barite and
• Quality daily mud reports, mud consumption, cost estimates and to maintain database, monitor and
manage loss circulation with appropriate LCM pills and advise DSVs as required.
Prepare end of phase and well mud and solids control equipment report including analysis of
problems, recommendations, etc
• Experience in all kinds of mud system environment for offshore usage, including but not limited to
water based inhibitive mud systems, SOBM, OBM, completion brines.
• Experience on extended reach and horizontal wells.
• Understanding well complications, limitations in drilling parameters like ECD or mud weights, hole
cleaning and cuttings bed issues etc.
• Strong verbal and written communication
• Strong analytical and problem-solving capabilities with the ability to make technically and
economically sound recommendations with incomplete information and tight deadlines;
• Effective decision maker with the ability to apply and follow through on decisions and actions
• Effective coordination and interface with internal team and external contractors.
• Strong interpersonal and leadership skills, ability to work with teams.
• Must be innovative and positive in dealing with changes and reacting to project difficulties
• Sets high standards of performance for self and others; assumes responsibility and accountability
for the successful completion of assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence
rather than have standards imposed