GENERAL MANAGER- BUSINESS SUPPORT UNIT (Finance and Admin)
Our client is a reputable, well-established company in the Construction industry incorporated under the Laws of Ghana. Our client is seeking a General Manager with experience in the Construction industry to manage the unit.
The General Manager function is a strategic leadership role that directs and oversees functions within the unit, including finance, procurement, human resources, administration, and business development. The incumbent is to develop and implement effective business strategies and programs to improve productivity and employee engagement.
The role will lead and grow the business support team that ensures that the office runs smoothly in line with company direction, culture, and values.
The incumbent is mandated to streamline the overall unit SOP, increase employee productivity and ensure the sustainability of business objectives.
Include but are not limited to:
- Lead the design and implementation of internal controls, administrative systems, policies, and procedures with MD and heads of departments to ensure that company’s day-to-day operational activities are efficient and effective and are in line with approved strategic initiatives and budgetary allocations.
- Oversee the daily administrative functions of the company and the work of business support heads (Human Resources, Finance, Procurement, Research and Development.)
- Allocate budget to departments and ensure effective and efficient use of funds.
- Evaluate performance and productivity by analysing and interpreting data and metrics
- Effective reporting of key performance indicators (KPIs) through dashboards and operational reports, and trackers
- Prepare and submit reports to the CEO on all matters of importance
- Ensure each department strategy align with the corporate goals of the company
- Work in partnership with MD and department heads to implement new strategic initiatives.
Finance & Procurement
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the department heads;
- Manage and ensure adequate cash flow (liquidity, investments and foreign exchange) for the organisation’s requirements within the fiscal year. Actively monitor progress and track budget variances, and advise management team of the organisation’s financial status.
- Provide overall financial oversight and monitoring of the various departmental expenditure.
- Liaise with finance to oversee all financial components of ongoing projects
- Ensure annual audit is submitted to the MD by the end of the first quarter of the subsequent year.
- Implement cost-saving models and initiatives to maximise profits and work with the Department heads to mitigate financial risks to the organisation proactively
- Assist MD in sourcing for funding.
- Ensures Procurement department establishes and maintains knowledge of the market, in addition to current prices and fair rates for goods
- Oversee the selection process for vendors. Monitor, review and evaluate bids and quotes with suppliers, including the negotiation of service agreements and contracts
- Oversee the development of SOP for the procurement department
- Oversee to the development of SOP for human resources (HR) unit
- Ensure the development and management of annual company-wide comprehensive training programs.
- Work closely and transparently with all external partners, including third-party professional service providers.
- Lead the development and implementation of the performance management system and the performance appraisals of all department heads. Oversee the general office management functions to ensure an effective, high-quality work environment and efficiency.
- Oversee all administrative functions as well as facilities to ensure efficient and consistent operations as the organisation scales.
Strategy and Business Development
- Research and identify new business opportunities.
- Work in partnership with MD to develop a strategic plan for the company’s growth.
- Provide financial and operational input for all strategic planning processes.
Support Service (Legal)
- Oversee risk management and legal activities, including business insurance; memorandums of agreement/understanding; contracts; leases; and other legal documents and agreements.
- Liaise with external bodies to build partnerships (Banker, service providers.)
- Build and maintain relationships with external agencies (GHA, DUR, GRA.) to ensure the smooth running of the organisation.
Requirement and Qualifications:
- Masters in Business Administration or relevant field; MSc/MBA is a requirement
- At least 10-15 years in a similar role
- Professional certification (member of a professional body)
- Proven experience as General Manager or relevant role
- Knowledgeable about the road construction industry and processes
- Experience working in the road construction industry is desired
- Excellent understanding of business functions such as HR, Finance and Procurement.
- Demonstrable competency in strategic planning and business development
- Outstanding organisational and leadership abilities
- Experience in sourcing for funds
- Ability to identify potential and business opportunities for growth.
- Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics
- Working knowledge of IT/Business infrastructure and MS Office
- Ability to read, understand and produce critical financial documents for business.
- Aptitude in decision-making and problem-solving
- Must have excellent communication, problem-solving, and organisational skills, including interface with internal & external customer contacts.
- Ability to plan and prioritise own work under tight deadlines and work on own initiative and as a member of a team.