GENERAL MANAGER- FINANCE AND ADMINSTRATION
Our client is a reputable well-established company in the Construction industry incorporated under the Laws of Ghana. Our client is seeking a General Manager – Finance and Administration with experience in the Construction industry to manage the finance and day-to-day administrative functions of the business.
The General Manager for Finance and Administration is a strategic leadership position that directs and oversees the day-to-day administrative functions including finance, procurement, human resources, administration, and business development of the business. The GM is to develop and implement effective business strategies and programs to improve productivity and employee engagement.
He/she will lead and grow the business support team that ensures that the office run smoothly in line with company direction, culture, and values.
The incumbent is mandated to streamline the overall unit SOP, increase employee productivity and ensure the sustainability of business objectives.
- Design and implement internal controls, administrative systems, policies, and procedures with MD and heads of departments to ensure that company’s day-to-day operational activities are efficient and effective and are in-line with approved strategic initiatives and budgetary allocations.
- Recommend policies and procedures in areas encompassing finance and accounting, procurement, HR, and Business Development for the consideration of the MD and board of directors.
- Oversee the daily administrative functions of the company and the work of business support heads (Human Resources, Finance, Procurement etc)
- Assess and implement improved new technologies and collaborating with management regarding the implementation of these improvements.
- Allocate budget to departments and ensure effective and efficient use of funds.
- Evaluate performance and productivity by analyzing and interpreting data and metrics
- Effective reporting of key performance indicators (KPIs) through dashboards and operational reports and trackers
- Drive the implementation of the strategic business plan by ensuring that the Human Resources department can equip and empower employees to deliver the organisational strategy.
- Enhance two-way communication within the business by ensuring that employees and other stakeholders are informed of what is happening, why it is happening and how it affects them.
- Assess new and ongoing work requirements to ensure that all business support departments have the tools required to deliver effectively on their objectives
- Prepare and submit reports to the CEO on all matters of importance
Finance & Procurement
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the MD; with Finance Department actively monitor progress, understand budget variances, and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting. Ensure adequate cash flow for the organisation’s requirements
- Provide overall financial oversight and monitoring, including development and implementation of sound fiscal management practices and internal controls.
- Manage and oversee monthly accounting processes, including bookkeeping, payroll management, invoicing. In this capacity, manage relationships with key external vendors, including external auditors.
- Implement a robust contracts management and financial management/ reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- Ensure and analyse monthly financial reports from Finance Department in timely manner; develop financial narrative reports for review of the MD.
- Oversee all financial components of ongoing projects
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process; liaise with external auditors and the finance committee of the board of directors.
- Manages liquidity, investments and foreign exchange.
- Manages bank accounts and monitors reconciliations, transactions including international transfers, credit cards, and keeping track of signing authorities.
- Prepares documents and schedules for annual audit and liaises with auditors.
- Improve revenue of the unit. / Manage and optimize cost saving models and controls
- Work with the Department heads to proactively mitigate financial risks to the organization and its board members.
- Assist MD in sourcing for funding.
- Maintaining knowledge of the market, in addition to current prices and fair rates for goods
- Overseeing sources for purchasing supplies
- Monitor, review and analyse bids and quotes with suppliers, including the negotiation of service agreements and contracts
- Oversee the development of procurement business plan; work with Procurement to establish, communicate and implement long-term goals for the department to promote effectiveness and efficiency.
- Oversee contract development and administration.
- Manage and oversee company’s human resources (HR) functions including: recruitment and hiring; benefits administration and oversight; new employee orientation, and employee retention strategies.
- Further develop company’s human resources capacity as the organization scales, enhancing professional development, compensation and benefits, performance evaluation, training, and recruiting.
- Ensure that recruiting processes are consistent and streamlined.
- Establish and manage a comprehensive training program to educate employees regarding staff policies and procedures.
- Work closely and transparently with all external partners, including third-party vendors and consultants.
- Lead the performance appraisals of all department heads.
Strategy and Business Development
- Research and identify new growth opportunities.
- Work in partnership with MD and department heads to research and develop strategic plan for company’s growth.
- Work in partnership with MD and department heads to implement new strategic initiatives. Provide financial and operational input for all strategic planning processes.
Support Service (Office Administration & Legal)
- Oversee risk management and legal activities, including business insurance; memorandums of agreement/understanding; contracts; leases, and other legal documents and agreements.
- Oversee general office management functions to ensure effective, high quality work environment and efficient, daily operations of physical plant and equipment.
- Oversee all administrative functions as well as facilities to ensure efficient and consistent operations as the organization scales.
- Liaise with external bodies to build partnerships.
- Build and maintain relationships with external agencies to ensure smooth running of the organization.
Requirement and Qualifications:
- Masters in Business Administration or relevant field; MSc/MBA is a plus
- At least 10-15 years in a similar role, preferably a foreigner
- Professional certification (member of a professional body)
- Proven experience as General Manager or relevant role
- Knowledgeable about the road construction industry and processes
- Experience working in the road construction industry is desired
- Understanding of business functions such as HR, Finance and Procurement
- Demonstrable competency in strategic planning and business development
- Outstanding organizational and leadership abilities
- Experience in sourcing for funds
- Ability to identify potential and business opportunities for growth
- Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics
- Working knowledge of IT/Business infrastructure and MS Office
- Ability to read, understand and produce important financial documents for business
- Excellent interpersonal and public speaking skills
- Aptitude in decision-making and problem-solving
- Must have excellent communication, problem-solving, and organizational skills, including interface with internal & external customer contacts
- Ability to plan and prioritize own work under tight deadlines, as well as to work on own initiative and as a member of a team