LEGAL AND COMPLIANCE MANAGER
Under the general direction of the Managing Director, ensure the company functions in a legal and ethical manner while meeting its business goals. Provide legal support and represent the company in certain civil litigations and to perform the following corporate duties:
- Provide legal advice and regulatory advice and support to management and staff.
- Develop compliance programs, review company policies, and
- Identify legal risk and advise management on appropriate control framework to alleviate risks to ensure business continuity
- Conduct of legal research and/or opinions and provide legal update on modern trends on arbitration, conciliation and mediation
- Handle corporate legal processes such as transactions, acquisitions and other legal documents and procedures
- Advise on civil matters that should be directed to external counsel.
- Liaise with and assist external Counsel in the discharge of their obligation
- File oppositions in matters where title is being passed or property is being encumbered and there are arrears due and payable to the Company.
- Advise on statutory compliances.
- Research and prepare legal opinions on various civil matters including claims for compensation against the Company.
- Draft and/or review legal letters, contracts and agreements and monitor legal obligations under agreements to ensure compliance, as requested.
- Submit quarterly work reports to Management and the Board of Directors.
- Submit quarterly reports on targets achieved together with an appraisal report to the Deputy Managing Director
- Maintain, a database of the status of all court matters involving the Company.
- Represent the Company at Arbitration and Public Utilities Commission hearings.
- Advise on the formulation, implementation and/or amendment of Company policies.
- Draft, amend, review and/or recommend modifications to laws and regulations governing the Company.
- Provide sound legal advice to the Company and make recommendations to Management as necessary.
- A good university degree in Law
- Must be called to practice at the Ghana Bar with at least 2 years’ proven experience in a similar role.
- MA or BSc in Business Administration will be considered an advantage
- Proven experience as a Legal Counsel in a business environment.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of corporate law and civil procedure
- Demonstrated ability to create legal defensive or proactive strategies
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines. Should be an excellent team player and possess good knowledge in all recent developments.